Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Garden LOVES the Rain!


Today I came home and planted some squash, beans, corn, and sunflowers. I spent hours weeding through my lettuces, corn, and spinach so they can grow healthy and tasty for upcoming dinners with my friends on lazy summer weekends.


Well hello tomatoes! I had to post these again, as it has only been about 5 weeks since I planted these and posted the directions on my blog. If you happened to read my last blog you saw how small these were when I planted the, and how much they had grown. Now it's been another week and WOW! They have grown so much more! I fear the few peppers I put between them will have to be moved to a new home very soon! If you are new to my blog I would suggest looking back to the one about feeding your tomatoes before you plant them, it is simple, and well worth the effort!

I have a compost pile just below my deck out back. This is a very simple process to dump my appropriate kitchen debris, grass, leaves etc, over the rail into the compost pile. I then either plant there, or add this lovely concoction to my various garden beds. Apparently I now have a few volunteer squashes of some sort that are absolutely thriving on their own! I will keep you posted as to their progress in future blogs, as well as their identity. I do know they have little tendrils emerging, so they plan on traveling in a vertical manner soon.













This year I decided to plant corn around my wattle fence that I blogged about last year. I love this wattle fence. It is made from sticks, trees, and vines from my land, and not only incorporates recycling, but the fence is very functional for climbing plants and is very attractive to look at. I am looking forward to the corn, sunflowers and squash that will soon meander through the wood and become a work of art!
















Below is one of the artichoke plants I placed in the dirt basement for the winter. I didn't water them, nor disturb them all for about 5 months. I am patiently waiting to see if I get a few chokes this year to serve at a cookout! Check out Tasteful Gardens site to order a few for yourself!














Sage is a very tasty herb to place under the skin of a chicken, or turkey and bake. YUM! It's not just for dressing!! This plant is 3 years old, and it is the first time it has bloomed. I am looking forward to the foilage, blooms and finding new uses for it, but wonder if this means Mr Sage bush won't be back for me to enjoy next year?


















BUGS!! I squash them when I am able to catch them in the act of nibbling on my lovely plants. This year I decided to plant scarlet runner beans, as they have lovely huge leaves and red blossoms, to be followed by scrumptious beans. However, a pack of about 18 seeds has produced about 6 plants due to the cutworms. Also, something is enjoying munching on the leaves that have managed to not be sawed off by the cutworms. I fear I shall have to purchase more seeds soon. My plan is to wrap foil around the ones that have survived and hope the cutworms get a SHOCK when they attempt to attack again. The other plants that are in the foreground that you see emerging will be birdhouse gourd squashes, and this is my first attempt growing these. I think my bean/squash teepees are going to be entertaining for me and my guests for months to come!

















I recently read about a process of planting with no weeds or digging and decided to test this in the garden (and at a friends house as well.) This is a bag of potting soil with time released fertilizer. I cut out the top like a picture frame. I then poked holes through the bottom of the bag for drainage, and planted basil in it to sample this process. The bag itself keeps down weeds, and should hold in moisture as well. I will keep you posted on the progress of a much anticipated basil bonanza!


















Well, Mommy is tired after a long day at work and playing in the garden. She fed me some crunchy p-nuts (which I had to share with my roomy Sully), then scratched my belly, and bid me goodnite. I guess it's time to retire and dream of the yummies she will feed me in the morning and all summer from her very tasteful garden.





I know she plans on posting some recipes involving fresh pickins from her scrumptious plantings.

Bon Appetit! Wuv, Choppers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment