Sunday, June 13, 2010


Hallooo to you! My name is Papilio polyxenes, or most likely known to you as Black Swallowtail Caterpillar. I have been hanging out in Teresa's parsley patch happily munching away all day on curled and italian parsley. Now I am ready to make my cocoon to rest a bit while I transform into a butterfly and leave this earthbound existance. Then I will have a bird's eye view of Teresa's lovely parsley patch! I love that this patch is on a two year cycle, as I may decide to lay eggs for next year!





So today was unreasonably hot, 92 degrees it felt like 97 with the humidity throw in. Working in the garden is necessary, but tedious. Here I have my scarlet runner beans eagerly climbing their teepee to the sky. They have beautiful blooms, but I wonder what the beans will taste and look like. Guess I will just have to wait and see. They seem to be doing well after a rough start with a cut worm war. Along the Wattle fence is Bantam corn, and zucchini and yellow squashes. The onions that I planted on the outer side have all been harvested and eaten, and were quite yummy!




Last blog, I posted about this volunteer squash, and boy is it an impresive monster now. I have no idea what it is, but it has oblong fruit, and is very happy living in the compost pile. The leaves are about 15 to 18 inches across. Any ideas? I will keep you posted.



Coming soon, wait, I picked these today. What? Blackberries in mid June? The fields are full this year, so I look forward to many gallons of wild blackberries, which will be transformed into wine, ice cream, and cobblers for summer yumminess. I am working on a few recipes to post real soon. Stay cool and happy harvesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment