Thursday, April 8, 2010

Recap and New Beginnings


We have here some of the fall abundance from my garden last year being watched over by my lumberjack nutcracker. I just finished my last butternut squash just weeks ago and it was so sad, but yummy!

My cat Calypso loves laying by the peppers on my walkway, which is weed free now and has new pea gravel I put down last week!
This was my lower garden with the wattle fencing which my squashes loved! You can see the patch of corn at the back of the garden on the left. The deer decided to make a bed there, so I didn't even get one ear of corn! (ignore the date on the pic, batteries died, and I forgot to reset the date.. oops)


Close up of some of my pumpkins and butternut!


Spring is here and I am so excited to have already begun my adventures in Gardening after a very long, very cold winter. I have posted some photo's from last year to inspire. First we have a few of the canned items I put away from my harvest. I made garlic dill pickles, canned tomatoes with garlic and basil, and pickled some jalapeno's. I had such an abundance that I was able to share at Christmas the fruits of my labors. The jalapeno peppers were absolutely awesome! I also froze a lot of my pepper crops to enjoy throughout the winter. (I do apologize again for a few of the pictures have incorrect dates due to battery recharges on my camera, and forgetting to reset the dates. 2/1 was actually in July. :O)











My fairy eggplants were absolutely beautiful!





The wattle fencing worked wonderfully to house an abundance of cucumbers throughout the summer.

I really had lots of luck with the sunflowers this year as well. The birds were very happy, and I got to enjoy their sunny disposition for months!



This was my new lower garden which housed pumpkins, spaghetti squash, okra, beans, zucchini and yellow squash, and lots of vining morning glories.







This is the front Wattle fencing with some cucumbers hanging happlily, even in August. I also had mint running around like crazy and a hummingbird vine that brought a lot of beneficial bugs and birds to visit.







This is what I have dubbed as pepper row. And wow, did I have lots of peppers. I grew jalapeno's, banana peppers, serrano, pablano, and a vast variety of green peppers. This area is along my walkway and I discovered the gravel was very beneficial in growing peppers. They like the drainage and heat provided from the gravel, and the piggies didn't bother to poke their noses through the fence to try and eat them.






This year I am already enjoying lettuces, cilantro, parsley, turnip greens, swiss chard, and arugula that actually survived the winter, and came back in full force to greet me.


I will be posting more often, as well as showing stages of plantings, tips, and recipes. My next post will show the abundance I am already enjoying, and plans for this year's garden!





















No comments:

Post a Comment